Easy, no bake, low fat, high protein, perfect for on-the-go-snacking. That's how I like my treats!
I'm always on the lookout for a healthy snack for me and my husband, especially ones that are stupid-simple, since we're basically always working, traveling or on the way to the gym. These homemade protein bars are one of our all time favourites.
I'm pretty sure most of you buy their protein bars in the store. I know, there are some pretty delicious ones out there (snickers protein, yeah!).
However, if you love the convenience of protein bars but not the long list of questionable ingredients, than you have to give this recipe a try. You'll save a ton of money, have total control over the ingredients and you can play with different flavours.
I know that a lot of people that follow a paleo-type lifestyle, so I added a paleo option, too ;)
- 1 1/3 cup (120g) vanilla protein powder - paleo option: egg white protein
- 2/3 cup (70g) wheat flour - paleo option: coconut flour
- 3/4 cup (170g) smooth peanut butter - paleo option: almond butter
- 2/3 cup (220g) honey
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ~ 2 tbsp chocolate chips
Macros per slice (1/12 of the tray)
- Calories: 215 kcal
- Carbs: 22g
- Protein 12g
- Fat: 8g
- In a large bowl whisk together the protein powder and the flour.
- In a separate medium, microwave-safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and the honey until they are smooth (about 1 minute). Add the vanilla extract and mix until creamy.
- Add the peanut butter mixture to the protein powder mixture, along with the almond milk and mix until well incorporated. You should have a dry, thick dough. It's much easier to use your hands to mix at the end.
- Prepare a pan with baking paper and spread the dough onto it. Place it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Then press in the chocolate chips.
- Put in the fridge again for approximately 30 minutes. Slice into bars and enjoy.
You can also make them in bulk and freeze them. They're best stored in the fridge to hold their shape and texture.
Let me know if you tried and enjoyed these protein bars and which flavour you like the most in the comment section below!